For most homeowners, one of the most important concerns in the household is the quality of their drinking water. This is especially true if you live in an area wherein the supply of water is not clean. The presence of contaminants and sediments can affect not only the taste and odor, but even the health of drinking water. With this, there is no wonder why many people are being proactive when it comes to taking measures to ensure the high-quality of their drinking water.
To have peace of mind regarding the safety of the drinking water that you have at home, there are various products that can be taken into consideration. You can install either a refrigerator water filter or a reverse osmosis system. Some people decide to have both. But, is this recommendable? Keep on reading and you will know the answer. Additionally, we will also provide you with some insights on the factors that can be taken into account if you intend to buy any of the two options for water filtration.
Image Source: appliedmembranes.com
Choose One, Having Both is Overkill
This is the answer to the question. No, you do not need to have a refrigerator filter installed if you already have reverse osmosis. By having both, you will only incur more expenses. Most importantly, the pressure of water can be significantly lower. Nonetheless, there are some things that should be kept in mind:
- Having just one of the two is recommended, but this is only the case when the drinking water from the fridge passes through the reverse osmosis system. If your RO system is installed under the sink and if your water is from the ref, this won’t work. The cold water you are drinking will still be unsafe.
- Choose a product that is reliable. Even if you have two, if both of the filters are of poor quality, they will surely not be able to function as claimed.
- Ensure proper installation of the water filters. Having one is effective, but its functionality will be limited if it is not installed based on the instructions from the manufacturer.
Choosing the Best Filter
Yes, you just have to choose from refrigerator water filter or reverse osmosis system. However, this does not mean that you can choose just any product. Generally speaking, these things should be taken into account:
- Reputation of the Brand: Take a look at the experience of the brand. If it has been around for many years already, you have one good reason to believe the claims of the manufacturer. After all, it is pretty much impossible for one brand to last long if it is not a trusted choice in the marketplace.
- Read Reviews: To be able to ensure the reputation of the brand and to see how one product would fare, take time to consult with the opinions of other people, specifically its past users. Reading about their experiences and insights will allow you to make the right choice. If you are the kind of person who does not easily believe in the opinions of strangers, ask for suggestions from people you personally know.
- Consider Lifespan of the Filter: One of the first things that should be looked at would be how long the filters will last. More often than not, manufacturers will state how many months they will be useful, usually six to twelve months. Of course, a better investment would be a filter that lasts longer. This means that they could be economical since it will take long before the cartridge will be in need of replacement.
- User-Friendliness: No one would like to deal with complicated assembly. Whether it is refrigerator water filters or reverse osmosis systems, make sure that it is going to be effortless in terms of installation. The manufacturer must be able to provide instructions that are easy to follow.
- Ability to Filter Contaminants: For both refrigerator water filters and reverse osmosis systems, make sure to research about the contaminants that they can take out of water. Settle with one that can remove 99.99% of contaminants as there is no product that is capable of removing 100% of impurities that are found in water. It is also nice if the filtration system will not only remove chemicals, but will also restore the minerals that are essential from water. This means that your water is not only clean, but will also supplement the minerals that your body needs.
In sum, to reiterate the point that has been earlier mentioned, you need not have both refrigerator water filter and reverse osmosis system. You can choose just one. Having both is not only expensive, but will also have a negative impact in water pressure. Even with just one of the two, you can have clean and crisp drinking water, but only if you choose the right brand and model.